TechStart celebrates its first birthday
- Written by Mark Loudon
May the 4th be with you!
We would like to thank all those that have helped support us throughout our first year.
The last twelve months have proved to be a huge success:
Donations and sales:
- Over 1500 computers have been donated, saving approx. 22.5 tonnes of waste from landfill. A minimum of 70% of all donations have been refurbished and made ready for sale. 15% have been stripped and broken down for parts to perform repairs, the remainder have been recycled through specialist metal, PCB and plastic material reclamation agents. So, nothing has gone to waste.
- Over 500 computers have been sold so far, providing affordable first time computers, 2nd family computers to be used for homework, and as a money saving option for local companies and charities.
- We've even given away several computers for free!
- We're provided over 200 subsidised repairs, helping the community by providing a substantially cheaper alternative to some larger retailers.
Free internet access:
We now have over 500 members, all of whom have been provided free internet access to enable them to job hunt, access Universal Jobs Match, shop online and use social media.
Free skills training:
Thanks to our the support of local training partners including:
- The Samuel Cody sports college
- Hampshire Futures
- TAS LTD
- Orchid Digital
- and Job Centre Plus, to name but a few
We've been able to provide courses such as:
- Keyboard and mouse skills
- Basic IT to improve literacy
- CV and job searching
- Food hygiene certificate
- Internet and Email
- Youtube and SEO
As a result of our success to date, we've just been accepted by UK Online as their first centre in Rushmoor. We hope to launch very soon.
Again, thank you. Without your support, we would never have been as successful as we have this past year.
Here's to many more years to come...
from Mark, Christine, Susie and all the TechStart team.